Thursday, January 31, 2008

Build Your Own Uncle Tom’s Lincoln Log Cabin

Did you know that Linclon Logs were created by Frank Lloyd Wright’s son, John Lloyd Wright (I always wished that Frank had named one of his sons Floyd Lloyd Wright, which would add child naming skills as just another reason why my choice to not breed was a good one)? When I discovered this fact (about Lincoln Logs, not my child naming skills), I was even more shocked to discover that “Lincoln Logs originally came with instructions on how to build Uncle Tom’s Cabin as well as Lincoln’s log cabin.” Lincoln Logs were created in 1916, so the Civil War would have been relatively fresh in the minds of Americans. I suppose that from a emancipation point of view, one would be just as happy to build Uncle Tom’s cabin as Lincoln’s (one was the title to the fictional book written by “the little lady who started this big war,” the other was the home of the man who supposedly spoke the words “so you’re the little lady who started this big war.”). Now I’ll never be able to look at Nephew’s Lincoln Logs without having some internal dialogue about states rights. As if I needed one more odd piece of information to cogitate on.

No comments: