Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Something is lost that cannot be found.

"Saint Anthony, Saint Anthony, take a good look around.
Something is lost that cannot be found."

Eric and I have lost our small kitchen whisk.  We think we've looked everywhere, but evidently not.  Instead of a work triangle in our kitchen, we have a Bermuda Triangle.  Things disappear for awhile and then sometimes reappear, like our favorite wooden spatula that went missing after the big kitchen paint job and was gone for a year before it turned back up.  During the time that the spatula was taking its sabbatical from the drudgery of scrambled eggs and roux, Eric received a new, nicer wooden spatula from brother and sister-in-law, Steven and McKenna.  Then, after a year, our trusty old spatula showed back up...in the same utensil drawer by the stove that we turned out and sorted through twenty times the year before while looking for said spatula.

The Saint Anthony mantra is something that my former Cherry Creek of Denver Chico's boss Holly Hamby taught me.  Holly has some serious joie de vivre...so much so, her personality is on the scale of Ruth Gordon's Maude character from the cult-classic film Harold & Maude.  I recall her imploring Saint Anthony repeatedly on a daily basis at work, begging his help to find her lost keys, the store screwdriver, or the box cutter she had just had in her hand.  When I asked her about the prayer, she explained that Saint Anthony was the saint of lost items, and that if you lost something, all you had to do was pray to Saint Anthony and he'd find it for you eventually.  She then recounted an incident of losing a diamond ring once and how, after praying to Saint Anthony for help, she found it on the outside window sill upon which she had placed it weeks before for safe keeping (I knew Holly well enough by that time to not question why she would've placed a diamond ring on an outside window sill for safe keeping).  Since then, Holly had been a firm believer in the Saint Anthony prayer.  And so have I.

So, there is hope that one day the whisk will turn up.  It is a good and trusted whisk, one that came with me when I moved back from Denver.  So, Saint Anthony, Saint Anthony, take a good look around...

1 comment:

lauri said...

I had a devout Catholic friend drop to her knees and pray this prayer once when I had lost something. I am such a panicked loser of things that I should adopt this prayer from my catholic friends. And I can also completely understand an outside window sill as a safe place. It was safer than some other place at that time. It is always just a matter of the moment: safer here or there.