Wednesday, December 16, 2020

The Gluten Free Black & White Cookie












Recently, mom mentioned wanting a black & white cookie. Like, the NYC Black & White Cookie. We live in Gadsden, AL, so that poses a bit of a problem. It's not that black & white cookies don't exist here, they are just harder to come by in these parts. I used to make them myself, but that was over nine years ago, when I wasn't gluten free. Life was easier then, in more ways than one. But, I recently came into two bags of gluten free baking flour (gifted from a friend whose daughter had obtained it mistakenly, and NOT being a gluten free girl, was at a loss as to what to do with it), and had all of the other ingredients.

One of my favorite things to do when I lived in upstate New York was to walk up to the corner store on a Sunday morning, pick up a black & white cookie, a cup of black coffee, and a copy of the Sunday NY Times...

It has taken me two nights and two recipes to perfect a suitable gluten free version of this sacred cookie. For the most amazing gluten free cake-like consistency, I used the cookie batter ingredients and instructions at Mom Loves Baking. For the glossy icing, I used the icing ingredients (I added a half teaspoon of almond extract to the white batch when making) and directions at Smitten Kitchen. The gluten free cookie from Mom Loves Baking does not taste gluten free AT ALL. If I had not made these myself to know they were safe, I would be very skeptical of their GF status. Eric has willingly served as in-home quality control taste tester. He has approved twice. Mom will be the final judge tonight.

Lise's post from Mom Loves Baking referenced the unforgettable Seinfeld episode that featured the black & white cookie where Jerry famously says, "You see, Elaine, the key to eating a black and white cookie is that you wanna get some black and some white in each bite. Nothing mixes better than vanilla and chocolate. And yet still somehow racial harmony eludes us. If people would only look to the cookie, all our problems would be solved."



No comments: