Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Goin' Dutch


Bought the much-needed cast iron Dutch oven yesterday. It was unseasoned. I’ve watched many a seasoning process in my life (most of those seasoning processes involved tossing the cast iron cooking piece into a brush fire), so I thought I’d give it a college try. I decided to season in the oven, which proved to be less dramatic than throwing my cookware into Dad’s burning barrel, but effective nonetheless. The process went a little something like this:
• Scrubbed cookware under blistering hot water with an abrasive scouring pad (this removed the protective wax coating that all new cast iron cookware sports).
• Coated with peanut oil. I happened to be out of lard at the moment (thank god), so I opted for peanut oil because I’ve witnessed its successful use before.
• Heated the pan (upside down, in case of dripping) for approximately one hour in an oven set at 450 degrees.
I will need to repeat this process a couple of times to make the seasoning bond stronger. The beauty of seasoning is that the oil fills the cavities of the cast iron, thereby creating a non-stick surface. I’m making chili in the pot right now, and there has been no sticking.
Listening to: Diana Krall
Reading: Anything about the Patriot Act.
Eating: As many pieces of sushi that I am able cram into my gut.

No comments: