Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Remember that one time when Helen Keller went all Pulp Fiction on Nazi Germany?




Helen Keller, to German university students, upon hearing that books (hers included) were being burned in Germany:  “Do not imagine that your barbarities to the Jews are unknown here. God sleepeth not, and He will visit His judgment upon you. Better were it for you to have a mill-stone hung around your neck and sink into the sea than to be hated and despised of all men.”

Ms. Keller’s words remind me of those quoted from Ezekiel 25:17 by Samuel L. Jackson’s Pulp Fiction character right before he shoots the man who has transgressed against his boss,  “And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

I would not have crossed Ms. Keller.  Nor Mr. Jackson.  Nor the Lord.  To read Ms. Keller's full 1933 letter, visit here.

No comments: