Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow at the Bungalow.
















Or Bunga-snow.  Or Snow-galow.  Anyway, we had a snow event in Alabama yesterday.  A snow event that will, no doubt, last for at least another couple of days.  I know of folks who are still stranded out there...stranded since 2PM yesterday.  It is 6:30AM right now.  I feel for my southern brethren (and sistren).

Being a southerner, but also being a southerner who has lived outside of the south, I can see both sides of a snowy situation.  And I feel that the south always takes a beating (both literally and figuratively) when it comes to snow.  This morning I felt compelled to rant a little on Facebook.  For those of you who are not on Facebook:
"I just have to say this in defense of the south and how we deal (or don't deal) with snow.  We don't get snow very often.  I lived in upstate NY for a year and in Denver for six years.  I made it through two blizzards in both places (and also one here in Gadsden, the one in ’93).  So, I am familiar with driving in snow and ice.  But from my experience, what happens here in the south is quite different from what in either of those places.  When snow begins to fall in Denver or NY, the snow plows and salt trucks come out in force.  Ordinary people are always armed with ice scrapers/brushes, de-icers, blankets, snacks, flashlights and maybe even a bag of sand in their trunks.  And homeowners have roof rakes, snow shovels and snow blowers in their garages…because they get snow (a lot of it) every winter.  We do not.  So, when we do get snow, it requires that we get into our motor vehicles and try to navigate a situation that most of us are not in the practice of navigating.  And then people make fun of us trying to do the best that we are able to do considering the circumstances.  I think we do, and have done, alright.  There were lots of good people out there yesterday offering me rides when I was walking (by choice) to the Gadsden Times.  I saw so many folks in trucks, and some on foot, helping to push distressed drivers up hills or out of the roadway. I know many friends who opened their homes up to stranded families. And that is all that matters. 'Do unto others...' or, more accurately, 'There but for the grace of God...'"


No comments: