Thursday, June 19, 2008

Deep Fried Night

Did anyone else take a whiff of Broad Street Tuesday night? As I was sitting at Jefferson’s watching the BEE-U-TI-FUL sunset just beyond the Pitman sign, I took a deep breath and smelled what I can only describe as a chicken-fried asphalt smell. I’m sure that you’ve all smelled that smell yourself and were thinking the very same thing as I when you smelled it...

Oh, hey everybody, did I mention that I ran into a singing Liz Wood at Blackstone last night…she set the place on fire. It was truly a treat to hear some of my bossa nova favorites sung so well, and sung in Gadsden at that! And the band was smokin’ too; señor Brian Bankston on a very smooth guitar (his reputation has preceded him for the last two years), Jim Henderson on drums (who, I believe I saw hanging around the joint last Friday evening when my utmost favorite local-ish band Ethan & the Ewox played at Blackstone), and Joe Keracher on Clarinet (Joe is pure clarinet magic…and he probably gets all the girls). Sadly, I’ve forgotten the name of the cat who was plucking the stand-up bass, but he and his bass were a sight for sore eyes (nothing like it-wonder if he can play Haitian Fight Song?). I picked up a copy of their CD, The Liz Wood Project/Spare Time and have been listening to it since. Saw some other names I recognized: photography and art by the talented team of Henderson & Catoe, mixed & mastered by Marc Carswell (yes Sister, THE Marc Carswell we used to sneak out and listen to when he lived across the street and practiced with his band). It’s a swell CD, made by a swell band. If you dig Jobim, Sinatra, Bennett, Hartman, Miller and Ellington, you’ll really enjoy this band and their sound. Heck, you’ll enjoy them just if you enjoy music! I know where I’ll be on Tuesday nights from now on…

5 comments:

Creative Verbiage said...

If you don't mind company, I'd like to join you on Tuesday nights for good music, fun, and friends.

La Petit Rouge said...

Come on!

Eric Wright said...

Man, I haven't been in a while, Amy and I were regulars for a while with a pizza, blue moon and some jazz

La Petit Rouge said...

Well that does it...we're all going to have to start meeting at Blackstone on Tuesday evenings. Perhaps we should call it the Co-ed Tuesday Girl's Night With Jazz?

Creative Verbiage said...

sounds like a plan