Friday, August 2, 2013

Redbone



I’ve had the 1974 hit Come and Get Your Love by Redbone stuck in my head for three days now.  When a song embeds itself in my head for longer than a day, I have to demystify it by Googling it and looking up versions of it on YouTube.  Which is what I did two nights ago.  Which led to my discovery that the group Redbone was a Native & Mexican American band.  And that the members of Redbone chose their band name because the term redbone is historically a southern word referring to mixed blood.   And that they formed because of the encouragement of their friend, a successful guitarist of Native and African American descent…a guy named Jimi Hendrix.  And all of that is just cool.

A wonderful live version of the song here.

Now that I have exorcised the song in my head by putting it in yours, I hope that you enjoy singing it to yourself for the rest of your day.  You can thank me later.

No comments: