Monday, November 25, 2013

Marilyn Carpenter June 18, 1936 - November 20, 2013




















My Aunt Marilyn passed away last week.  She was generous, loving and just all around wonderful.  Eric and I were able to visit with her this past May.  She was deep in her struggle with ALS, but she was bright and shining and beautiful to me during that visit.  I could tell that she was much loved and well cared for by her husband, Uncle Ralph, and her son, Jim Foxx. 

In my Mother's Day 2013 blog back in May (written the morning after our visit with Marilyn), I described her the following way:
"I recall her helping me with my math homework on one of her visits to Alabama.  I was far more taken by her glittery owl necklace than the math.  Marilyn also once bought me a very sophisticated two-piece, royal blue, terry cloth Gloria Vanderbilt pantsuit because she thought I could pull it off.  You read right, a two-piece, royal blue, terry cloth Gloria Vanderbilt pantsuit.   Yes, I appreciate the pantsuit, but I appreciate more the encouragement and the confidence she gave me to wear that pantsuit."
I will miss her.

Her obituary:
"Carpenter, Marilyn, Age 77; Independence, KY; Devoted wife of James Ralph Carpenter; Loving mother of James Foxx, Donald Carpenter, Karen Carpenter and Bryan Carpenter; Dear grandmother of Johnathan and Laura Beth Carpenter; Sister of Kenneth Roark; Aunt of Michael Roark; Preceded in death by siblings, Ronald, Robert and Carol Roark; November 20, 2013; A funeral service will be held on Monday, November 25, 2013 at Day Springs Church, 1060 Smiley Ave., Cincinnati at 11:00am with an hour of visitation prior to the service; Remembrances may be sent to the ALS Association. Condolences may be left for the family at www.paulyoungfuneralhome.com"

No comments: